Thursday, September 16, 2010

Sylvia Allan & Morning Meetings

The stories that Sylvia shared with us about the girls in her class that suffered from abuse, took up much of my thoughts for a day or two after her visit. It was troubling to hear and it’s scary to think we might have to deal with that as teachers. However, it gave me hope that I could develop community among my class where they do feel comfortable and safe. I feel like the Morning Meeting allows the opportunity to build that community and helps attend to the most basic human needs as defined by Abraham Maslow. There are two ideas I liked from the discussion and that is first, the students managed the meeting, and the teacher sits back and facilitates. The second idea I like is how Sylvia made Morning Meeting her own and used it as reflection of herself. I intend to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment